Auth0 SAML Integration
Learn how to configure a connection to Auth0 via SAML.
Each SSO Identity Provider requires specific information to create and configure a new Connection (through Application registered). Often, the information required to create a connection will differ by Identity Provider.
Auth0 integration with Cripsa using SAML consists of 4 parts,
- 1. Create a project/select (an existing) project by logging into https://cripsa.com
- 2. Create an App in Auth0 using admin account in https://manage.auth0.com/dashboard
- 3. Use Metadata URL information of the Auth0 App registered to integrate it with Cripsa.
- 4. Use the Final URI received to call against the User click to start the Authentication process.
Create Project through Cripsa
Login to Cripsa Dashboard by using email account
Once logged in Create project for SAML.
Fill all the details. All the fields are required.
Click on “Create Project”.
Note Down all the above highlighted information which will be used while creation of the App in Auth0 Admin Console (https://manage.auth0.com/dashboard).
What Cripsa provides
Cripsa provides the ACS URL and the SP Entity ID. It’s readily available in your Project Detail page of Cripsa Dashboard.
The ACS URL is the location an Identity Provider redirects its authentication response to. In Auth0’s case, it needs to be set by the Enterprise when configuring your application in their Auth0 dashboard.
The SP Entity ID is a URI used to identify the issuer of a SAML request, response, or assertion. In this case, the entity ID is used to communicate that Cripsa will be the party performing SAML requests to the Enterprise’s Auth0 instance.
Specifically, the ACS URL will need to be set as the “ACS URL” in the “Service Provider Details” step of the Auth0 SAML setup.
What you’ll need
In order to integrate you’ll need the metadata XML file from Auth0.
Normally, this information will come from your Enterprise customer’s IT Management team when they set up your application’s SAML 2.0 configuration in their Auth0 admin dashboard. But should that not be the case during your setup, here’s how to obtain it.
1. Log in
Log in to the Auth0 dashboard, select “Apps” from the sidebar menu, and then select “Applications->Applications->Create Application”. If your application is already created, select it from the list of applications and move to Step 6. If you haven’t created a SAML application, select “Create Application” and then provide the details.
2. Enter Your App’s Information
Give the app a descriptive name and upload an icon, if applicable. Click “Continue”.
3. Obtain Identity Provider Details
Select the “Download Metadata” button to download the metadata file. Save this file, as you’ll upload it to the Cripsa Dashboard in Step 7. Click “Continue”.
You can download the Metadata or copy the URI as well and use anyone of it to register with Cripsa.
4. Enter Service Provider Details
Copy and the “ACS URL” from your Cripsa Dashboard and paste it into the “ACS URL” field, and copy the “SP Entity ID” from your Cripsa Dashboard and paste it into the “Entity ID” field in the Auth0 SAML “Service provider details” modal. Select “Continue.”
5. Configure User Access
In the User Management->Users one can add users by clicking on Create User button at the top as shown in the figure below.
6. Upload Metadata File by Register Auth0 App with Cripsa
If you haven’t already downloaded the metadata file, select your Application->Addons->SAML2 web app, and in the pop-up window click on Usage go to Identity Povider Metadata and click on Download or right click and copy the URI as shown below.
Now go back to https://cripsa.com/saml-register-app ->Select your project you have just created.
Here Three Fields are Mandatory to fill:
- Register Type
- Provider Name (name must be unique with no special character and all in small letter)
- Metadata URL or File Upload
In the Register Type there are four options, and one has to select anyone of them as per your requirement. For more information on these options please see FAQ.
7. User Login Testing
Using code URI to get code after successful login to Okta.
Using token URI to get accessToken after successful login to Okta.
Frequently asked questions
1. How many Registration Options available in Cripsa for SAML and what is the difference between them?
In the Register Type there are four options:
- • Registration of SAML Only
- • Registration of SAML in Separate Client
- • Registration of SAML with Other Already registered Auth Type Apps/Method with MFA
- • Registration of SAML with Other Already registered Auth Type Apps/Method without MFA
Only the Login screen would be Different for each Registration Type.
Here in the above diagram one can see MFA is available along with SAML authentication.
Here in the above diagram one can see MFA is available along with SAML and AUTH 2.0 authentication.